|Needs Oar Point
Advanced Landing Ground
Needs Oar Point Airfield was constructed by a Flight of No 5004
Airfield Construction Squadron RAF on farmland at Park Shore
in 1943 by levelling the land, filling in or diverting ditches,
removing some hedges and trees and laying Sommerfeld Tracking.
Four Blister Hangars were added later. Some cottages were used
when the Squadrons moved in, but most personnel lived on tented
sites near the airstrip. All maintenance was done from mobile
workshops in a large fleet of lorries. A battery of heavy AA
guns of the Royal Artillery was sited south of school cottages
and lighter gun positions near the coast were manned by the RAF
No 146 Wing, 84 Group of the Second
Tactical Airforce RAF arrived to use the airfield on the 10th
and 11th April 1944. This small, but strategically sited airfield
became the base for over a 100 Hawker Typhoon fighter-bombers
of 193, 197, 257, & 266 Squadrons.
They immediately began flying missions over France in preparation
for the D Day landings. Attacks were made on road and rail targets
and radar sites. On D Day and for the next four weeks these Squadrons
flew sorties in support of the troops then advancing in Normandy,
including attacks on German Headquarters.
At the beginning of July 1944 the Squadrons left Needs Oar Point
Airfield for Hurn for two weeks before moving to bases that had
been built on Normandy.
In 1945 the land was returned to farming and the tracking and
hangers removed. The commemorative panel is placed at the point
where the North-South Runway crossed the road. It is placed here
as a tribute to all concerned with the Liberation.